Healthy Baby Club
The Healthy Baby Club (HBC) is a prenatal and postnatal program that promotes healthy choices; helping families have the healthiest baby possible. The program responds to the needs of pregnant women and new mothers. The goal of the program is to promote good nutrition practices and positive lifestyle choices so participants will have healthy pregnancies and healthy children.
HBC participants may be eligible for nutritional supplements. The supplements provide participants with some basic nutritional requirements to help prevent the incidence of low birth weights. Weekly supplements may include one dozen eggs, six litres of milk, and orange juice.
Healthy baby club
The HBC works with participants to:
- Improve nutrition
- Decrease incidences of smoking, alcohol and drug us
- Raise self-esteem
- Increase initiation and duration of breastfeeding
- Encourage physical activity
- Support early physician care and use of health services
- Enhance social and community support
- Enhance positive parenting skills